Thursday, April 14, 2011

Student Teachers as mentors

Today I was talking with my collaborating teacher and she told me about a mentor program some teachers want to start at J.J. Harris Elementary school next fall. They want to match up student teachers with one student from a different class/grade. The idea is to have a student teacher become another students mentor for the semester and spend an hour a week with them. The student teacher will tutor the student as well as just be there for them.
 I think that this is a great idea because it not only allows the student teacher to see what its like to work with a child in another grade. Also the student will have a reliable person that they will see on a daily basis. I hope that this gets put into action next fall because I think that it would be beneficial for both the student as well as the student teacher.

1 comment:

  1. This would be such a great idea! Another opportunity to connect and learn from each other. Thanks for sharing this, and all your other insights!

    ReplyDelete