Monday, January 24, 2011

Writing Workshop in my life

As I was growing up I do not remember a time when we had writing workshops. Many of my teachers gave us a certain concept and asked them to write a certain amount. I always knew that writing was important but I dreaded it every day. After reading these chapters I realize that when done correctly writing workshop can be a fun experience for children. The first chapter showed me that it is important to let students pick their own concepts most of the time.  They also should be able to somewhat talk during writing workshop.  The more laid back it is the more the students will write and be able to get their thoughts on paper. When I become a teacher I’m going to make sure that my students enjoy writing and do not dread it.
The part that I enjoyed in chapter 2 that states that if students write across the curriculum they never learn the important lessons that writing is also a way to get things done in life. Helps you follow your dreams or passions. Students should be able to write recklessly. If students are not able to do this in the classroom they probably won’t do it in their lives. Chapter 3 really hit home for me. I don’t know how many times I have heard someone say that some people just aren’t writers. For awhile I even started to believe it.  But really a quote “writer” can be anyone that writes often.  Amy Wilson once said last semester how it is important for teachers to write while their students write to show how important it really is. If the students are doing it the teachers will do it as well. The last chapter was probably my favorite. I like the idea that it should be treated like lunch. No matter what students have lunch every day, and just like lunch students should have writing workshop every day.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of writing recklessly. We should definitely take the fear out of starting out ideas and following our whims. What's the worst that could happen? Amy is such an excellent example of what it means to be an exceptional, inspiring teacher. Students really do benefit from seeing their teachers do what they are asked to do.

    beth

    ReplyDelete